The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) Press Room was created by the ASA Public Relations Committee to provide efficient dissemination of information regarding the Society and the field of acoustics to the news media, science writers, and other interested parties.
MEMBERS OF THE PRESS
To search by Author, Abstract Code or Date (e.g. October 29) – simply enter the author name, abstract code or date in the search box to the right. To search for ALL papers matching a certain Category or Meta tag, click on the appropriate link on the sidebar.
Acoustics in Focus: Virtual Press Releases
180th Meeting of Acoustical Society of America
Tuesday, June 8, 2021 @ 11:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
- Pandemic Teaching Transitions Back to Classroom with Lessons Learned – Andrew Morrison, Joliet Junior College (ASA Session 1pED4)
- Teaching Drones to Hear Screams from Catastrophe Victims – Macarena Varela, Fraunhofer FKIE (ASA Session 1aSPa5)
- Balancing Speech Intelligibility, Face Covering Effectiveness in Classrooms During the Pandemic – Laura & Richard Ruhala, Kennesaw State University (ASA Session 1aAA5)
- Noisy Homes During Pandemic Drive Future Design Choices – Ayca Sentop Dümen and Konca Saher, Turkish Acoustical Society (ASA Session 1pNS4)
Wednesday, June 9 at 11:30 a.m. Eastern U.S.
- Acoustical Evolution Increases Battle Between Predator, Prey, Thomas Neil, University of Bristol, Session 2pSA1 – Moth wings are acoustic metamaterials, June 9 at 1:00 p.m.
- Potential Vocal Tracking App Could Detect Depression Changes, Carol Espy-Wilson, University of Maryland, Keynote Speaker 1pID – Speech acoustics and mental health assessment, June 8 at 4:00 p.m.
- Voice Acting Unlocks Speech Production, Therapy Knowledge, Colette Feehan, Indiana University, Session 1pSCb5 – Articulatory and acoustic phonetics of voice actors, June 8 at 2:40 p.m.
- Variabilities in Children’s Speech Perhaps Not So Concerning, Margaret Cychosz, University of Maryland, Session 1aSC8 – Reconsidering variability in child speech production, June 8 at 11:35 a.m.
Thursday, June 10 at 10:00 a.m. Eastern U.S.
- Headphones, Earbuds Impact Younger Generations’ Future Audio Health, Daniel Fink, The Quiet Coalition, Session 3aNS8 – Personal audio system use can harm auditory health, June 10 at 11:35 a.m.
- COVID-19 Creates Hearing, Balance Disorders, Aggravates Tinnitus Symptoms, Colleen Le Prell, University of Texas at Dallas, Session 3pNS2 – Hearing disorders secondary to infection with SARS-CoV-2, June 10 at 1:15 p.m.
- Pandemic Quarantine Acoustically Contributes to Mental, Physical Health Degradation, Braxton Boren, American University, Session 2pNS4 – The soundscape of quarantine, June 9 at 1:45 p.m.
- Personalized Soundscape Could Help People with Dementia with Time, Place Recognition, Arezoo Talebzadeh, Ghent University, Session 2aNS1 – Soundscape design for people with dementia: The correlation between psychoacoustic parameter and human perception of safety and mood, June 9 at 9:35 a.m.
———————– MORE MEETING INFORMATION ———————–
Main meeting website: https://acousticalsociety.org/asa-meetings/
Technical program: https://acousticalsociety.org/technical-program-and-special-sessions/
Press Room: https://acoustics.org/world-wide-press-room/
WORLDWIDE PRESS ROOM
In the coming weeks, ASA’s Worldwide Press Room will be updated with additional tips on dozens of newsworthy stories and lay language papers, which are summaries of presentations written by scientists for a general audience and accompanied by photos, audio and video. You can visit the site during the meeting at https://acoustics.org/world-wide-press-room/.
PRESS REGISTRATION FOR MEETING SESSIONS
We will grant free registration for credentialed and professional freelance journalists who wish to attend the meeting sessions. If you are a reporter and would like to attend, contact the AIP Media Line at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can also help with setting up interviews and obtaining images, sound clips or background information.
VIRTUAL MEDIA BRIEFINGS
Press briefings will be held virtually during the conference. Credentialed media can register in advance by emailing email@example.com and including your full name and affiliation in the message. The official schedule will be announced as soon as it is available, and registered attendees will be provided login information via email.
ABOUT THE ACOUSTICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is the premier international scientific society in acoustics devoted to the science and technology of sound. Its 7,000 members worldwide represent a broad spectrum of the study of acoustics. ASA publications include The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (the world’s leading journal on acoustics), Acoustics Today magazine, books, and standards on acoustics. The society also holds two major scientific meetings each year. For more information about ASA, visit our website at http://www.acousticalsociety.org.
Archives of Previous Meetings of the ASA
179th Meeting: Virtual – Acoustics Virtually Everywhere (AVE)
178th Meeting: San Diego, CA
177th Meeting: Louisville, KY
176th Meeting: Victoria British, Columbia
175th Meeting: Minneapolis, MN
174th Meeting: New Orleans, LA
173rd Meeting: Boston, MA
5th Joint Meeting -Acoustical Society of America and Acoustical Society of Japan Honolulu, Hawaii
171st Meeting: Salt lake City, Utah
170th Meeting: Jacksonville, Florida
169th Meeting: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
168th Meeting: Indianapolis, Indiana
167th Meeting: Providence, Rhode Island
166th Meeting: San Francisco, California
165th Meeting: Montreal, Canada
164rd Meeting: Kansas City, Missouri
163rd Meeting: Hong Kong, China
162nd Meeting: San Diego, California
161st Meeting: Seattle, Washington
160th Meeting: Cancun, Mexico
159th Meeting: Baltimore, Maryland
158th Meeting: San Antonio, Texas
157th Meeting: Portland, Oregon
156th Meeting: Miami, Florida
155th Meeting: Paris, France
154th Meeting: New Orleans, Louisiana
153rd Meeting: Salt Lake City, Utah
152nd Meeting: Honolulu, Hawaii
151st Meeting: Providence, Rhode Island
150th Meeting: Minneapolis, Minnesota
149th Meeting: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
148th Meeting: San Diego, California
147th Meeting: New York, New York
146th Meeting: Austin, Texas
145th Meeting: Nashville, Tennessee
144th Meeting: Cancun, Mexico
143rd Meeting: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
142nd Meeting: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
141st Meeting: Chicago, Illinois
140th Meeting: Newport Beach, California
139th Meeting: Atlanta, Georgia
138th Meeting: Columbus, Ohio
137th Meeting: Berlin, Germany
136th Meeting: Norfolk, Virginia
135th Meeting: Seattle, Washington (ICA/ASA ’98)
134th Meeting: San Diego, California
133rd Meeting: State College, Pennsylvania
132nd Meeting: Honolulu, Hawaii
131st Meeting: Indianapolis, Indiana
130th Meeting: St. Louis Missouri